Welcome to the ARTSFAIRFAX (formerly known Arts Council of Fairfax County) online application system!
ARTSFAIRFAX is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization incorporated in 1964 as Fairfax County’s designated local arts agency.
ARTSFAIRFAX is the voice of the arts, dedicated to fostering dynamic and diverse local arts, ensuring that arts thrive by providing vision, leadership, capacity building services, advocacy, funding, education, and information.
This online system is being used for a variety of ARTSFAIRFAX programs including grants, arts awards, public art, Capital One Hall space use, creative aging, and the artist residency program.
Before Beginning an Application:
1. Review the guidelines (available on the ARTSFAIRFAX website and below with each category) including eligibility requirements.
2. Keep a record of your user name and password - each artist/team/organization may have only one. Multiple staff members working on a single application will share the log in.
3. It's recommended that applicants prepare narrative responses in a word processing program prior to completing the online application.
Applications close at midnight on the due date.
1. Additional resources including grant preparation workshop presentations, model applications, and a budget webinar presentation located on the ARTSFAIRFAX website.
2. Grant Applicants are encouraged to attend a grant information session where the grant guidelines, review process, and on-line application will be explained in detail.
3. Please contact ARTSFAIRFAX for instructions if you plan to apply for a grant with a Fiscal Sponsor.
2020 Arts Awards
Friday, October 16, 2020 from 12:00pm – 2:00pm
Fairview Park Marriott Hotel
3111 Fairview Park Drive, Falls Church, VA 22042
ARTSFAIRFAX will hold its ninth annual Arts Awards to recognize the visionary contributions that the arts bring to Fairfax County and the Cities of Fairfax and Falls Church. The Arts Awards bring together the arts community, business community, civic and elected leaders to celebrate the extraordinary contributions of artists, arts organizations, and the private sector for their support of the arts in our community.
Arts Education Award
The Arts Education Award recognizes an arts organization or individual arts educator in Fairfax County and/or the cities of Fairfax and Falls Church that has provided superlative arts education opportunities, experiences, or training for youth, students of any age, or emerging artists.
Arts Impact Award
The Arts Impact Award recognizes an arts organization, of any discipline, for an arts program or activity that has provided significant opportunity or impact for citizens in Fairfax County and/or the cities of Fairfax and Falls Church, based on the quality and/or transformational nature of the program, and breadth of individuals served.
Arts Philanthropy Award
The Arts Philanthropy Award acknowledges private sector support of the arts in Fairfax County and/or the Cities of Fairfax and Falls Church, by honoring an individual, corporation or foundation that has provided leadership funding, long-term monetary support, or significant investment in the arts.
Nominations Deadline: 5:00pm February 7, 2020
Arts Awards Nomination Process
Nominated individuals, organizations, corporations, and foundations must reside in or conduct the predominant portion of their professional activity in Fairfax County or the cities of Fairfax or Falls Church. Past winners are not eligible to win the same award, but may be nominated in a different category.
The deadline for submissions is February 7, 2020. Notification to award winners will be made on or before March 24, 2020. Self-nominations are accepted.
All application questions must be answered and answers are limited to a maximum of 500 words. Handwritten applications will not be accepted. Please contact Brenda MacRoberts at email@example.com for additional information and assistance.
Submission of up to two (2) supplemental material is optional, but encouraged. Supplemental materials may include, but are not limited to, program brochures, newspaper reviews or articles, testimonials, letters of support, or other marketing materials.
Multiple applications are allowed. Please complete a separate form for each nomination.
Applications must be received by 5:00pm February 7, 2020. Late applications will not be accepted.
ARTSFAIRFAX - Arts Awards
2667 Prosperity Avenue, Suite A, Fairfax, VA 22031
Award winners will be announced to the public through press releases, ARTSFAIRFAX’s eNewsletter, social media, and website. Winners will be asked for biographical information and photos. A video interview will be conducted during the summer and presented as part of the awards ceremony. The video interview will be the property of ARTSFAIRFAX and used in future promotions.
The annual Arts Awards will be held on Friday, October 16, 2020 from 12:00pm – 2:00pm at the Fairview Park Marriott in Falls Church. Award winners and their guest (2 complimentary seats) will be seated at the table of the corresponding award sponsor (unless the awardee wishes to sit at another table). Nonprofit arts table rates and artists/nonprofit arts administrator ticket rates will be available.
This Final Report form is for completion by FY2019 Artist Grant recipients and is due by January 6 2020.
This Final Report form is for completion by FY2020 Fast Track Grant recipients and is due within 60 days of receipt of funds.
Fast Track Grant Guidelines
Fast Track Grants are non-matching grants to Fairfax County arts organizations to fund one-time events or activities that fall outside the regular cycle or scope of ARTSFAIRFAX grants.
Applicants may request up to $1,000. No Match is required. A Fast Track Grant is paid in full at the time of award.
All applicants must meet the following criteria to apply for a Fast Track Grant. Staff reviews all grant applications for eligibility prior to any awards consideration.
1. An organization is eligible to apply if:
· It has as a core mission the creation, exhibition, presentation, production, or performance of and/or education in an arts discipline.
· It has regular activity in a minimum of four different months in the year or 120 days of the year.
· An organization must:
· Be in compliance with all local, state, and federal laws; and
· Hold current or pending status under IRS code 501(c)(3).
2. Organizations that receive line item funding from Fairfax County and the state of Virginia and non-profit organizations and foundations that support county programs and universities are not eligible for ARTSFAIRFAX grants.
3. Arts divisions and arts programs that are part of larger, umbrella/parent organizations are not eligible for Fast Track grants.
4. The applicant organization must have an address of record within the geographical boundaries of Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, or the City of Falls Church and satisfy TWO of the following four criteria:
· Present at least 51% of public artistic activities within the geographical boundaries of Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, or the City of Falls Church; or
· Meet, rehearse, exhibit, and operate within the geographical boundary of Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, or the City of Falls Church; or
· Have 51% of board of directors’ members work or reside in Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, or the City of Falls Church; or
· Verify that 51% of attendees at performances, exhibits, events, and activities reside in Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, or the City of Falls Church evidenced through acceptable statistical data including but not limited to: ticket analysis, subscription data, box office surveys, and audience surveys.
5. The applicant must have submitted all required final reports for any grant(s) received from the ARTSFAIRFAX during the most recently completed fiscal year.
6. An organization must have independently prepared financial statements such as an audit or a treasurer’s report.
7. Organizations may receive Fast Track Grants only once per 12 month period.
8. An organization has to be a county wide non-profit organization or foundation.
9. Preference will be given to programs that serve Fairfax county residents.
· Project addresses an opportunity or need that falls outside the regular cycle or scope of ARTSFAIRFAX grants.
· Projects requesting travel support outside the county are eligible if it is for unanticipated professional development opportunities that fall outside ARTSFAIRFAX’s regular grant cycle. Any costs related to travel for artistic activities—performances, exhibitions, etc.—must be within Fairfax County.
· Grant funds will meet the applicant’s identified need.
· Project costs are realistic.
· Unforeseen project costs that could threaten an organization’s ability to successfully carry out a project.
· Equipment lease, purchase or repair that was not anticipated.
· Unexpected artistic opportunity not part of regular season or artistic calendar.
· Emergency situation as defined by the organization.
The Fast Track grant is not an alternative for submitting late applications or missing deadlines in other categories. Funds may not be used for deficit reduction, construction or renovation projects, political advocacy, expenses that have occurred in the past or fundraising events. If funds are requested to support an activity or performance, the event must be open to the public.
Grant Preparation Assistance
Please contact the ARTSFAIRFAX Grants Department with questions about an activity’s appropriateness or eligibility.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until available funds are expended.
Review Process: Applications will be internally reviewed by a panel of staff members and approved by the ARTSFAIRFAX Grants Committee. Applicants will be notified of their grant status within 30 days of receipt of the application.
Final Report: A one-page (maximum) final report is required within 60 days of receipt of funds summarizing how funds were spent and the impact of the grant.
How to Apply:
Step 1: Contact ARTSFAIRFAX for preliminary project eligibility determination.
Step 2: Complete Online application at https://artsfairfax.submittable.com/submit
You will be required to attach the following:
1) Bios (no longer than 1 paragraph) of key artistic and administrative staff involved
2) A list of the organization’s Board of Directors
3) If applying for the first time include a 501(c)(3) determination letter
4) A 500 word narrative that includes a description of the unforeseen need or opportunity that will be funded through the grant and the overall cost details of the project
Applicants will receive an email confirmation once the grant application had been submitted.
Acknowledgements: ARTSFAIRFAX requires acknowledgement of ARTSFAIRFAX’s support for all public programs and services. Credit ARTSFAIRFAX as a donor on all printed materials and digital media through use of the ARTSFAIRFAX logo and the statement, “This program is funded in part by ARTSFAIRFAX, supported by the County of Fairfax.” Grant recipients should send copies to ARTSFAIRFAX of all materials that are distributed to the public, e.g., flyers, brochures, or program booklets.
ARTSFAIRFAX’s Operating Support Grants invest in the organizational goals and objectives of the County’s arts institutions, helping them maintain their ongoing programs, services, and facilities. Rather than focus on new initiatives as justification for funding, Operating Support Grants seek to maintain organizational stability as a platform for the growth of the arts in Fairfax County. As ARTSFAIRFAX’s largest grant program, Operating Support Grants generate recognition for a broad spectrum of the County’s cultural organizations.
Click Here to view the complete Guidelines for this grant program.