connecting professional artists with schools
ARTSFAIRFAX invites professional artists of all disciplines interested in conducting a teaching artist residency to apply for the FY20 Artist Residency Program. The program is a collaboration between ARTSFAIRFAX and the Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) for artist residencies that engage students in cross-curricular learning through the arts.
Arts disciplines include, but are not limited to, visual arts, music, theater, literature, dance, choreography, storytelling, design arts, architecture, sculpture, media/film, animation, and digital art. Professional artist are individuals who have exhibited, performed, presented and/or published artistic work in a public context that demonstrates an ongoing commitment to their artistic discipline at a professional level.
Deadline to submit applications for the
Artist Residency Program for 2019-2020 school year
is June 8, 2019
- Individual artists must be at least 21 years old.
- Individuals must reside, work, or have a studio in Fairfax County, Fairfax City, and the City of Falls Church.
- Individuals must be legally eligible to work in the US.
- Individuals must agree to submit to a criminal background check.
- Individuals must not be enrolled as an undergraduate student in a degree or entry level certification program related to the specific discipline of the proposed residency program.
- Individuals must not be employed by FCPS as a full-time teacher.
- Individuals must not have participated in the ARTSFAIRFAX Artist Residency Program in a previous year.
Applicants must meet the eligibility criteria at the time of application and throughout the FCPS 2019-2020 school year to be considered for participation in the FY20 Artist Residency Program.
Artists must provide all information and materials outlined in the online application; including but not limited to a brief description of their proposed residency idea/topic, an artist’s resume, and artwork samples.
If selected, applicants for the FY20 Artist Residency Program, must agree to:
- Attend the Teaching Artist Seminar Thursday, September 12th, Friday September 13th, Saturday, September 14th, and Monday, September 16th, and
- Conduct at least one Artist Residency during the 2019 – 2020 school year if their artist residency is matched with an FCPS middle school.
Artist Residency Program schedule and payments
ARTSFAIRFAX Artist Residencies vary in length from 9 – 18 contact hours with students in a classroom setting and provide unique cross curricular learning experiences for students based on an artist’s expertise in their artistic discipline.
Residency projects involve hands-on participatory experiences with at least one core group of students who works with the artist throughout the residency. Activities provide opportunities for students to develop 21st century skills: creativity, communication, collaboration, and critical thinking.
Emphasis is on learning through the arts, as opposed to learning about various arts forms. Learning through the arts uses the arts as a lens through which to ask questions, engage in experiential learning about a topic or issue, synthesize ideas into different formats, generate personal responses to research or inquiry and create work which expresses those new thoughts, learnings or ideas.
Artists selected to participate in the ARTSFAIRFAX Artist Residency Program are required to attend the Teaching Artist Professional Development Seminar and will be paid $1,000 for the intellectual property created and shared with the ARTSFAIRFAX Artist Residency program. An artist whose residency program is placed in a school through the ARTSFAIRFAX Artist Residency Program will be paid a variable amount calculated as $650 plus $150/classroom contact hour (up to a maximum of $5,000) for conducting the residency.
For more information on the depth and breadth of the design of an artist residency for the ARTSFAIRFAX Artist Residency Program, please refer to the Artist Residency Handbook https://artsfairfax.org/artist-residency-program/.
5/2/2019 - Application Opens
6/8/2019 - Application Deadline at midnight
6/8 thru 6/15/2019 - Review of Applications
late June 2019 - Notification by Email
9/12, 9/13, 9/14, and 9/16/2019 - Seminar Dates
2019/2020 School Year - Residency Program conducted in FCPS Middle Schools
Artist applications for the FY20 Artist Residency Program will be reviewed by ARTSFAIRFAX staff, with input from the FCPS Fine Arts Department.
Applications will be reviewed according to the following criteria:
- Artist’s demonstrated artistic excellence in their arts discipline
- Artist’s teaching experience
- appropriateness of the proposed artist residency in meeting the program's goals
Preference will be given to Artists interested in ongoing participating in the program.
Artists will be notified by email of their selection for the program. If not accepted, staff will be available to answer questions.
For more information about the FY20 ARTSFAIRFAX Artist Residency Program, download the Artist Residency Program Handbook from the website, https://artsfairfax.org/artist-residency-program/.
If you have questions about eligibility for this program or any other aspect of the Artist Residency Program, please contact Danielle Stoebe, at email@example.com.