Fast Track Grants are non-matching grants to Fairfax County arts organizations to fund one-time events or activities that fall outside the regular cycle or scope of Arts Council grants.
Applicants may request up to $1,000. No Match is required. A Fast Track Grant is paid in full at the time of award.
Please contact the Grants Department of the Arts Council about an activity’s appropriateness or eligibility before beginning the application process.
All applicants must meet the following criteria to apply for a Fast Track Grant. Staff reviews all grant applications for eligibility prior to any awards consideration.
1. An organization is eligible to apply if it has as a core mission the creation, exhibition, presentation, production, or performance of and/or education in an arts discipline.It has regular activity in a minimum of four different months in the year or 120 days of the year.
2. An organization must:
- Be in compliance with all local, state, and federal laws; and
- Hold current or pending status under IRS code 501(c)(3); or
- Operate as a specifically defined arts division, or have its own arts program identity, within a larger nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.
3. The organization or the division/program that is applying must have an address of record within the geographical boundaries of Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, or the City of Falls Church and satisfy TWO of the following four criteria:
- Present at least 51% of public artistic activities within the geographical boundaries of Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, or the City of Falls Church, or
- Meet, rehearse, exhibit, and operate within the geographical boundary of Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, or the City of Falls Church, or
- Have 51% of board of directors’ members work or reside in Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, or the City of Falls Church, or
- Verify that 51% of attendees at performances, exhibits, events, and activities reside in Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, or the City of Falls Church evidenced through acceptable statistical data including but not limited to: ticket analysis, subscription data, box office surveys, and audience surveys.
4. The applicant must have submitted all required final reports for any grant(s) received from the Arts Council of Fairfax County during the most recently completed fiscal year.
5. An organization must have independently prepared financial statements such as an audit or a treasurer’s report.
6. An organization is not eligible to apply to the Fast Track Grant program if it receives line item funding from Fairfax County in fiscal year 2018 or directly supports a county government program or
7. Organizations may receive Fast Track Grants only once per 12 month period.
8. An organization has to be a county wide non-profit organization or foundation.
9. Preference will be given to programs that serve Fairfax county residents.
- Project addresses an opportunity or need that falls outside the regular cycle or scope of Arts Council grants
- Grant funds will meet the applicant’s identified need
- Project costs are realistic
- Unforeseen project costs that could threaten an organization’s ability to successfully carry out a project
- Equipment lease, purchase or repair that was not anticipated
- Unexpected artistic opportunity not part of regular season or artistic calendar
- Emergency situation as defined by the organization
The Fast Track grant is not an alternative for submitting late applications or missing deadlines in other categories. Funds may not be used for deficit reduction, construction or renovation projects, political advocacy, expenses that have occurred in the past or fundraising events. If funds are requested to support an activity or performance, the event must be open to the public.
Grant Preparation Assistance
Please contact the Grants Department of the Arts Council with questions about an activity’s appropriateness or eligibility.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until available funds are expended.
Review Process: Applications will be internally reviewed by a panel of staff members and approved by the Grants Committee of the Arts Council. Applicants will be notified of their grant status within 30 days of receipt of the application.
Final Report: A one-page (maximum) final report is required within 60 days of receipt of funds summarizing how funds were spent and the impact of the grant.